Narayanpur is an important historical place in the northern part of the River Brahmaputra situated in the western part of Lakhimpur District of Assam. Ancient temples, Tanks, Road, Sattra and other monuments in and around Narayanpur depict the picture.
According to mythology, the name of Narayanpur may be derived:
a) from the surname of Narayans of the Kingdom of Satyanarayan, Lakhinarayan etc during the 14 th to 15 th Century. The word “Narayan” added with “pur” meaning town makes name of the place as Narayanpur.
b) from the name of the Great Koch King “Naranarayan” who ruled this place and constructed a highway from his capital Kochbehar to Narayanpur.
The birth place of several Baishnava Gurus like Madhabdev,Haridev, Anirudhadev, Badala Padma Atta etc, Belaguri Sattra,Badala Sattra, Phulani Thaan, Bishnubalikuchi, Dahgharia Sattra, Budha Bapuchang, Maghnowa Dol, Gohaikamal Ali,Radhapukhuri, Burhaburhi Pukhuri, Rangati Pukhuri, Pichala Nadi are some of the important historical places situated at Narayanpur.
According to J D Wade, “Narayanpur is thirty miles in length and fifteen miles in breadth. This district is situated on the bank of Pichala river and Colabari of Zokai chook.” (An Account of Assam, Page no 35).
Narayanpur is inhabited by various castes, communities and ethnic groups viz. the Mishings, the Deuris, the Khamtis,the Bodos, the Karbis, the Koch-Rajbongshis, the Ahoms, the Chutias, the Motoks, Ex-Tea-Garden community, the Nepalis in addition to SC and General communities.
The primary occupation of the people is agriculture and its allied services and Traditional handicrafts. Narayanpur is well connected by road, railway and airways with all important places of the state. The NH 52 is passing through Narayanpur. The nearest Railway Station is Tatibahar, which is about 5 km from Narayanpur. The Lilabari airport is about 60 km from Narayanpur.
Narayanpur : A Step towards Urbanisation:
Narayanpur is a fast growing business and commercial place in the western part of Lakhimpur District. The process of urbanisation starts with the recent announcement of township by the Government of Assam. The population of the township which comprises 6 (six) wards is about 7000 (seven thousand).
Madhabdev Kalakhetra : A Feather in the Cultural Cap of Assam:
Thee Government of Assam has recently announced to construct Sri Sri Madhabdev Kalakhetra at Badala Sattra at Narayanpur. Accordingly the Chief Minister of Assam, Mr Tarun Gogoi, laid the Foundation Stone of the Kalakhetra. This would become an important institution for the Assamese Culture and Tradition.
Radhapukhuri Tank was constructed by the King Lakhminarayan in between 1400-1500 AD in the name of his wife ‘Radha’. Presently this tank is used for fish breeding and cultivation by the Fisheries Department, Government of Assam.
This sattra was established in 1618 originally in Majuli island – where the two great guru and disciples Sri Sri Sankardev and Sri Sri Madhabdev met each other for the first time. This sattra was transferred to Narayanpur and settled at Jorabari revenue village in 1947 AD.
This sattra was established in Narayanpur by Badala Padma Atta in 1636 AD who was a great follower of Mahapurush Madhabdev.
Situated in the east of the river Pichala and north of Maghnowa Bil, the Maghnowa Dol was constructed by Ahom king Shiva Singha in 1643 saka. Shakti puja is performed in the temple.
This is a holy river. It was mentioned as ‘Gautamashya Mahaphala’ in the Kalikapurana. The battle between Ahom king Garganya Roja and the Koch king Naranarayan was fought in the bank of river Pichala.
Gohain Kamal Ali:
This 380 mile long highway was constructed by Gohain Kamal, the engineer brother of Koch king Naranarayan in 1546 AD from Kochbehar to Narayanpur.
Harihara Tati, the king of Japoribhita at Tatibahar near Narayanpur, led a troop from north bank of river Brahmaputra in the Moamoriah insurrection.
Bishnu Balikuch Sattra:
The disciple of Kal Sanghati guru Bhabanipuria Atta, Sri Sri Anirudhadev was born at Dakua village near Narayanpur in 1602 AD.
In 1618 AD Mridangial (Dahgharia) Sattra was established by Haridhan Dev. This is situated near the Madhabdev College.
In 1843, the British controlled the Khamti Revolution in Sadia and settled few Khamti people at Narayanpur. They established this Buddha temple at Barkhamti village.
This thaan was established by Badala Atta in 1555 saka. This is an important religious place and a large no of followers visit this thaan annually.