A Brief Report on Women Cell, Madhabdev College Teachers’ Unit, ACTA (From 2012 till October, 2017)
About the Women Cell
The Women Cell was formed under Madhabdev College Unit of ACTA in the year 2006 for gender sensitization and overall development of the women community of the college. Mrs. Leelabati Dutta Majumdar and Mrs. Mrigaskhi Dutta Hazarika were the first President and Secretary, while Mrs. Niru Deka Saikia was the first adviser of the Cell. At present, the Cell is consisted of 12 women members of Madhabdev College Teachers’ Unit.
Women Cell has no fund of its own. It has to depend on the Teacher’s Unit and the authority of the college for its financial support. Recently in 2015-16, Women Cell had decided to develop a fund from contribution of all members of the cell. Accordingly, each member decided to contribute Rs. 50.00 per month. Women Cell of Madhabdev College Teachers’ Unit has been organising different activities from time to time.
The following programmes and activities were conducted by Women Cell during the period from 2012-13 to 2016-17.
A Report: From 2016 September to 2017 September
President: Mrs. Reeta Goswami
Secretary: Mrs. Latika Hazarika
During this period, total 11 Meetings were held
The following programmes and activities were undertaken by Women Cell during 2016-17-
1.An account was opened at Allahabad Band, Panbari branch by depositing an initial amount of Rs.15, 000.00 (Fifteen thousand).
2.Organised an awareness programme at Guru Sankardev Prathamik Vidhyalaya, Borbari village- which is dominated by SC community on women related issues on 06.02.2017. Different speakers spoke on various issues which are stated below-
(i)Demerits of Early Marriage, Speaker: Reetamoni Kakati.
(ii)Role of Parent in the Child Education, Speaker: Dikshita Bhuyan.
(iii)Cashless Transaction ( Current Issue), Speaker: Nikhil Hazarika.
(iv)Interaction with women and children: all members of women cell.
(v)Street drama show , Oitijya (an NGO)
3.Rengani, 2016- a research volume edited by Mamani Boruah and Dr. Dipti Saikia, on behalf of Women Cell was published on 10.09.2017 on the occasion of Sri Sri Madhabdev Tithi. The book was inaugurated by Mr. Debananda. Hazarika, MLA, Bihpuria LAC.
4.A talk on “Mind Power” was conducted on 11.09.2017 in collaboration with Student Support Cell and Health Centre Committee of Madhabdev College.
5.The Women Cell felicitated veteran freedom fighter of the Indian struggle for independence and President of India’s Award Winner for the year 2017- Smti Nirmala Goswami at her residence at Narayanpur on 22.09.2017.
A Few Memorable Moments and Paper cuts of this period (2016-2017)
Extension Activity at Guru Sankardev Primary School at Borbori Village
Inauguration of ISBN Book “Rengani-2016” , Date: 10.09.2017
Felicitation of noted freedom fighter who was honoured by the President of India on the eve of Independence Day 2017, Smti Nirmala Goswami at her residence at Narayanpur on 22.09.2017
Smti Minati Borthakur: A Talk on “Mind Power”, Date: 11.09.2017
Editors: Mamoni Boruah and Dr. Dipti Saikia
A Report: From 2015 September to 2016 September:
President: Mrs. Reetamoni Kakati
Secretary: Mrs. Mamoni Boruah
1. Mrs. Reeta Goswami has participated ACTA Women Conference held at Nalbari 30th Sept. 2015.
2.The Health Committee of the college organised a free medical check up and Blood Donation Camp at the college on 16th Feb, 2016, in collaboration with the Women Cell. Total number of blood donor was 30.
3.Observation of International Women’s Day, 8th March 2016. In this connection following programmes were held-
(i)An interaction programme held for girl students on Health and Hygiene: Speaker: Dr. Biswajit Bhuyan, Gynaecologist. Specially focused on periodical problems of girl students.
(ii)Exhibition of Bamboo craft by Mr. Jyoti Borgohain, special focus on empowered through handicraft.
(iii)Held an essay competition
(iv)A special edition of “Rengani” edited by Dikshita Bhuyan was published by Women Cell.
(v)A show of “Mary Kom” movie was organised.
A Few Memorable Moments and Paper cuts of this period (2015-2016)
Bamboo Craft Exhibition
Rengani-2016 (Special Issue for International Women’s day)
Editor: Dikshita Bhuyan
A Report: From 2013 to 2015 September (2yrs for Golden Jubilee)
President: Mrs. Chitrali Hazarika
Secretary: Mrs. Mrigakshi Dutta Hazarika
1. Observed National Girl Child Day on 24.01.2014. All Teaching and Non-Teaching members as well as all girl students of the college actively participated in this programme. Mrs. Swarnalata Bora, subject teacher of Narayanpur Higher secondary School delivered a speech political issue related to women, Mrs. Leelabati Dutta Majumder a member of the Cell talked on domestic violence against women and their rights. Mrs Nikuja Dutta, from Madhabdev College focused on moral and spiritual values of woman.
2. Observation of International Women’s Day on 8th March 2014. In this connection a pustika named- Rengani- Vol -1, edited by Mrs. Mrigakshi Dutta Hazarika was published. The cost of publication was borne by Niru Deka Saikia, retired Vice Principal of Madhabdev College and all members of Women Cell. Rengani 1st edition was inaugurated by Mrs. Neru Deka Saikia.
3. In January 2015 Rengoni: Vol. 2, edited by Mrigaskhi Dutta Hazarika, Latika Hazarika and Reetamoni Kakati was published by Women Cell with ISBN 9789324404480 . This was first publication of Rengani with ISBN which contained total 54 bilingual research based articles.
A Few Paper cuts
Rengani-2015, Editors: Mrigakshi Dutta Hazarika, Latika Hazarika and Ritamoni Kakati
Rengani-2014, Editor: Mrigakshi Dutta Hazarika
A Report: From 2012 September to 2013 September:
President: Mrs. Arpana Dutta Dihingia
Secretary: Mrs. Reeta Goswami
1.Women Cell of Madhabdev College Teachers’ Unit organised a two days workshop on “Fruits and Vegetables Preservation” on 15th and 16th Nov, 2012 in collaboration with the Department of Agriculture North Lakhimpur. Apart from the girl students of this college, 10 self help groups from the surrounding participated in the workshop. Each participant was given a certificate at the end of the programme.
2.In the inaugural ceremony of Madhabdev College Golden Jubilee on 03.05.2013, the Women Cell led a “Jal Aarohan Programme” in which 50 girl students participated.
A Report: From 2011 – 2012 September:
President: Mrs. Mrigakshi Dutta Hazarika
Secretary: Mrs. Dikshita Bhuyan
The following programmes were implemented in the period 2011-12
1.On 28th &29th April, 2012, a UGC sponsored national seminar on “Role of Women in Management and Governance in Higher Education with special reference to the North East” was held which was organized by Women Cell of our college under the aegis of the ACTA. Notably, in the said seminar as many as 40 research papers were presented and 250 members participated in the seminar.
2. The Cell had organised a Free Medical Check-up and Health Awareness Camp at the college premises on 27th May, 2012 in collaboration with the Health Committee of the college. The following doctors attended the Camp respectively- Dr. Surjit Baruah, MD-Medicine; Dr. Titu Medok, MD, Gynaecology; Dr. Papori Saikia, DGM; & Dr. Bikash Dutta, MD, Anaesthesia. Total number of patients undergoing medical check up was 250. Medicines were distributed to equal numbers of patients. Apart from this, ECG was done to 6 patients ,blood grouping to 40 patients and 22 patients underwent thyroid test at a nominal rate of Rs.100 By the Chennai based SRL Religare Lab. In this camp, a documentary show was arranged by 108, Lakhimpur District on emergency medical help line.
Acknowledgements: As a secretary of the Women Cell, I express my sincere gratitude to the college authority and the Teachers’ Unit of Madhabdev College. I owe special thanks to all previous secretaries for their help and support in preparing this entire five years’ reports. I am thankful to all members of the Women Cell for their sincere co-operation.